Wednesday, March 04, 2009

crafty crayons

Maisie loves to color, and we've somehow picked up a ton of crayons here and there. This has also meant that we have a ton of broken little crayon ends and stubs around the house.

We decided to melt them down and make new crayons with them! I picked up this silicon mold pretty cheaply at the craft store. Maisie helped me put the little crayon pieces into the molds, and then we baked it for about 15 minutes at 200 degrees. When I took it out, the crayons were all soupy and they didn't look too hot when they dried... the undersides were all one color, and I worried that maybe they'd just be a mottled brown. But as you can see, when we popped them out, they looked great!

Maisie even tried to take a bite of the pink and red one before she realized that no, they really are crayons, not cookies. Oddly, they're not great for coloring, but they look neat. And I don't have little crayon odds and ends all over the house any longer!

No comments: