Monday, June 13, 2011

Sleep!

Sleep is one of those things that new parents, or parents of young kids, can't stop talking about it. I think it's similar to how hungry people talk obsessively about food... the sleep-deprived are constantly talking about sleep, and their kids. Are they sleeping well? How long? What hours? What's your bedtime routine?

Maisie's always been a very independent sleeper. Even as a tiny baby, she slept best when she had her own space, whether that was in a bassinet, crib, or now her bed. She went through a brief phase when she moved to her big kid bed where she'd crawl into bed with us at night, but it passed quickly.

Ella, on the other hand, has always been a nighttime snuggler.

For the first few weeks of her life, she would only sleep if she was physically on me. I slept sitting up until we managed to get her to at least sleep next to us, not on us. She eventually moved from the bassinet to a crib in her room, and that was fine - until a few months ago.

At about 18 months, we found her trying to climb out of her crib. It wasn't unexpected - Maisie did the same thing - so we went off to Ikea and got them a bunk bed. Now that she's realized she can get out of bed, when she wakes in the night, she comes into bed with us.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with this - we aren't strictly opposed to cosleeping. It'd be just fine, if there were more actual sleeping involved. Instead, Ella's reverting to previous behavior where it's not enough to be next to someone - she wants to fall asleep on someone. And that someone is typically me.

Last night she woke up and instead of coming into our bed, sat in the hallway and screamed "Mama! Mama! Cuddle me! Cuddle me!" until I got out of bed, took her back into her room, and sat with her on my lap until she fell asleep. At that point I tried to go back to my bed, but noooooo... Ella instantly woke up and started yelling "Sleep here mama! Sleep here!" So I did. Not well, but I did sleep.

I know I shouldn't give in, but I'm so tired when it happens, and it just seems like the past of least resistance. Plus, Ella's screams wake Maisie up, who then joins in the scream-fest with "Ella! You're TOO LOUD! I can't sleep!!!" It'd be funny if it weren't 2:30 in the morning.

So anyone with advice on how to get a tired two year old to stay in her bed all night long, without interfering with Maisie's sleep too much - please tell me what to do! Of course, general sympathies and commiseration are welcome too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All my sympathies! Poor honies, all of you. Beautiful pictures of sleeing angels. Have I sent you the Lullaby on You-tube? Coming soon!

Clare said...

This is so famililar it's scary. It's our house with Maya as Ella, and Rowie is Maisie. Maya sits in her bed and fake cries until someone goes in there (so Rowie doesn't wake up) and then we have to lay with her until she falls back asleep...she used to come into our bed, but now just cries until we come.

Then if Rowie is crying and crying in the middle of the night because he's cutting teeth, Maya wakes up and we both have a kiddie to tend to.

Sleep, sleep, sleep...I miss it.