Friday, June 01, 2012

First day/last day

Remember this tiny girl?

That was her first day of school at Sunny Hollow. She'd just barely made the age cutoff to start, at not-quite-three years old. She was a little nervous, but couldn't have been more nervous than I was. I remember her running right down the hall without even saying goodbye to me. There was a parents coffee in the garden that morning, and I sat and cried and cuddled Ella, who was all of two months old. I couldn't believe my little Maisie was so grown up!

Just look at her (and Ella!) now, on the morning of her last day at Sunny Hollow:

 As excited as we are that she'll be starting kindergarten in the fall, I'm still feeling very weepy about the fact that, once again, my little Maisie is so grown up. But apparently that's what parenting is: a series of milestones where you shake your head and wonder how they ever got so big, even while you're loving the person they've become, and can't wait to see what comes next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember crying when Chris got on the bus for his first day of kindergarten. They grow up way too fast.

Anonymous said...

I missed seeing this. I've got tears in my eyes all over again.
Love your writing.
Gramma Liisa