Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Afghan!

One of the fun things for me about visiting Aaron's family in Iowa is that Jo will often give me yarn from her sizable stash that she's not going to use. I have built up quite a stash of my own this way!

The stash was getting a little overwhelming so I decided to multitask, and work through some of it at the same time as making a housewarming gift for my mom, who moved this weekend. So I made my mom an afghan!

It's easily the biggest thing I've ever made, at probably 5'x3'. I'd always been intimidated by big afghan patterns before, but I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try, and I'm so glad that I did. I wasn't quite sure how it'd turn out, what with all the crazy yarn colors and patterns, but I'm pretty happy with the end result. I think my mom is, too! We both liked that it has such bright colors mixed in there. I also like that I was able to use up such a big chunk of my yarn stash. Now I feel better about buying more yarn!

The cats acted less than impressed with the end result, but I think they were just miffed because they really enjoyed playing with all that loose yarn, and it's gone now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leah, it's beautiful and I'm sure your mom will love it. It's the perfect size for curling up on the couch with a good book or old movie. So does this mean I can gift you with more yarny bits the next time you come?

Grandma Jo

dubetest said...

Sweet! Must be super satisfying to make something so big. Very nice :)

Anonymous said...

It is even more beautiful than the picture shows. It is a wonderful addition to the couch. I am so lucky to have such a multi-talented daughter!

Gramma Liisa