Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Ella Update

As many of you know, Ella was hospitalized on Tuesday morning with what we originally suspected was H1N1... she had a high fever (102.7), cough, and runny nose, and was super cranky.

It turns out that Ella has strep. pneumoniae bacteremia - that is, her blood is infected with the bacteria strep. pneumoniae. She's doing a lot better since we brought her in. She was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday, and is on IV antibiotics which are knocking the strep out like LL Cool J. Mama said knock you out!!

We've been alternating spending time with her at the hospital, me going to work, and someone being home with Maisie... and thank goodness for family - my Mom has picked Maisie up from school and fed her dinner the past 2 days, and I get home from the hospital to find Maisie playing happily with her Auntie Laura at our house. We're also thankful for my understanding employer, and my coworkers who are stepping up to cover my missed court appearances.

So right now we're hoping that Ella will be able to come home tomorrow (Thursday). Obviously we'd rather she were at home, but we want to make sure that everything's under control before we bring her home. The last thing we want to do is have to boomerang back to the Children's Hospital after being discharged!

We'll keep you all posted. And thanks for everyone's love, thoughts, prayers, and support. We truly appreciate it.

6 comments:

kati said...

Oh Leah- I'm so sorry! That's scary, but I'm glad she's getting good care! I'm sending happy healing thoughts!
~Kati

Aaron Grunfeld said...

Nicole's & my thoughts go out to you in this difficult time! We're so glad you've got friends & family nearby to help. If there's anything we can do from NYC, please let us know. Take care of yourself & Ella -- we're looking forward to meeting her on our next MN visit!

gerkat said...

Hope she's home and healthy very soon!

Kimberly said...

Poor girl, how scary! Good to hear things seem to be under control. Take good care.

Anonymous said...

She's back to being her not-so-old self. Home and happy! It was a very scary four days. We are all OK.
Gramma Liisa

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, I had no idea this had happened -- that must have been so scary! I'm so glad she's all better - WHEW!