Monday, July 09, 2012

Easy DIY Cape

So as I said, we spent the weekend at CONvergence. A big part of the scene there is costuming, as you could probably tell from a few of the pictures I posted. Because the theme was Wonder Women, I decided that the girls needed capes. But because I decided this at the last minute - like, on Thursday morning, the day the Con began - I needed a quick & easy, no-sew DIY cape. Here's what I came up with!

First, I stole an old t-shirt from Aaron that he doesn't wear any more.
I turned it inside out and drew my cape pattern on there. I did the wider part at the bottom, along the hem, and the skinny part at the top. Then I cut it out, keeping the shirt's collar attached, and snipped the collar in the middle to create the ties.

We ran to Michael's and picked out iron-ons to decorate the cape, and we were done! Easy-peasy, no sew, upcycled kids' capes.

Back view:

And a front view of Baby Panda Superhero, showing the tie around the neck:
I did make capes for both girls. Maisie opted not to wear hers, instead dressing like a ballerina (Thursday), a sun princess (Friday), and some other kind of princess (Sunday). But Ella wore hers all weekend, and ran around saying "Me a SUPERHERO!!!" which delighted just about everyone who saw her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just adorable!

Grandma Jo

shauna said...

Horrah - a Superhero for peace! She is too adorable. :) Love to all!