Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Crafty interlude.

So as I mentioned before, I've been working on crocheting - I thought I'd share some of my creations.

I made a hat and some baby booties for baby Trixie recently!

The purple booties go with the hat; the orange booties are for someone else, actually. Both the hat and the booties were quick and easy to make - the booties more so just for their size. They are so wee!

As you can see here, they're actually a mary jane-style bootie, with a faux strap and a sewn-on button. I know buttons can be a choking hazard, and I usually don't put them on things for babies. Don't worry, I sewed the button on really tight! Plus, any babies with feet small enough for these booties won't be able to pull off the buttons.

But so it turns out, I really enjoy making toys - no pesky sizing or swatches needed, they work up quickly, and they're fun for both giver and recipient. Everybody wins!

My most recent creation is a crochet Cthulhu.

I made it using the pattern found at the Cthulhu Crochet blog. Cthulhu, if you didn't know, is a colossal ancient monster from H.P. Lovecraft's writings. I mean, though, it's obviously a horrible monster and not at all cute, right? I made him for my friend Kyle who's a huge Lovecraft fan, using yarn that Jo gave me last time we were in Iowa.

I also recently made Maisie a dinosaur.

I got this pattern from Jo last time we were visiting. She is clearly my crafty inspiration. Thanks Jo! It was fun to make, although the pattern is kind of weird and I think I have figured out how I will be modifying it next time I go to make a dinosaur. I think it looks very happy, although sometimes Maisie uses it to attack my feet while she says "RAHR!" Super cute.

I'll end with another monkey.

I think he looks like a Chicago Bears fan, don't you?

4 comments:

Liza said...

Ok...you are so crafty! Wish I could learn your tricks...may be if we had a video link then you could teach me how to make things for Emi....

Anonymous said...

Leah, you've been so busy! I love the "scary monster". By the way, I'll have more yarn bits for you when you come to Iowa in July. I've been saving them for your cute toys.
Jo

gerkat said...

So cute! I love the dino.

Anonymous said...

OMG, your toy crochet skills are off the charts, woman! You are amazing! If you ever want to try making a crocheted Captain Jack Sparrow...I know someone who'd flip out...ahem ahem...

But seriously, you should go into business.